Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Do I Have To Ask?

I don't like asking for help. I don't know too many moms or women for that matter who enjoy doing so. Most modern day women pride themselves on being relatively self sufficient and able to survive without having to ask a ton of people for help. It's not like many of us have had pleasant experiences in the area of asking. Let's keep it real. When you think of all the times you didn't ask for something you knew you needed, what was the biggest reason for doing so? Most likely, the reason that shines the brightest is the negative response you got when you did ask someone for something you needed or wanted.
Let me introduce you to two people who do not mind asking a million questions and requesting a million things every single day: my two children.
Funny thing about it is that when it's something they really, truly want with all their little beings, they don't let up.
They don't disappear on the first no.
They don't stop asking because of disappointment.
They wait a while, then come right back and ask again.
A typical day in my household goes like this:
*Fifteen minutes after breakfast* Caitlyn: Mommy can I have a snack?
Me: No Caitlyn.
Caitlyn: Why?
Me: You just ate!
*Ten minutes later...*
Caitlyn: Mommy, can I have a snack?
Me: No Caitlyn.
Caitlyn: WHY??!
Me: Because you just ate.

*Another ten minutes goes by...*
Caitlyn: Mommy, can I have a snack?
Me: No Caitlyn.
Caitlyn: BUT I'M HUNGRY!!!!!
Me: What do you want?
Caitlyn: Can I have gummies?
Me: How about a poptart?
Caitlyn: OK!
*Off she goes with her prize...*
I do believe God handles His children (you and I) much the same way. He whispered into my mind a day or so ago, "When you want something that you're not entitled to or that someone never intended for you, you must insist and persist".
Makes total sense if you look over the example of the dialogue I just had with Cait.
Her objective was to get a snack.
I had no intention of giving her a snack at that moment because it was not TIME for her to eat again.
But her persistence created a new season for her called "SNACK TIME".
Oh, y'all don't want me to preach on this here blog!!
So what does that say to you and I?
The Word of God says in Matthew 7 "Ask and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened unto you".
I would never want to deprive my child of any good thing. There have been times she asked me for something that I was unwilling to give her. Same goes for her brother. But when what either of them asks me for is something that I know isn't good for them, I almost always present them with two things: my counter offer and an opportunity to ask for something else!
If that doesn't jump start your faith today, I don't know what will.
When you ask God for things, don't despair when it seems as if His answer is no. Persist in prayer. Persist when you know the thing you desire is something He'd be willing to give you. I won't give my children anything to eat if they aren't hungry. However, if they persist in asking for something to eat, I will give it to them because I am more than willing and ABLE to meet that need for them.

WOOHOO!
So, I challenge every reader to ask more, persist more, and believe that God is able and WILLING to grant your petition!

No comments: