Sunday, August 14, 2011

Big Ol' Cry Baby...

I wasn't always this way. I was the kid who could take a lickin and not even whimper. I was the one with the high pain tolerance. It took a lot to break me down and reduce these big, brown eyes to tears.
That was then, and this is now.
Now, I find myself crying a lot. When I see something moving on tv, hear a testimony, hear a song...
I cry.
And I'm not talking about just welling up. I'm talking about big ol' tear drops running down my face.
At first, I was a little concerned about this emotional transformation of mine. I've even jokingly said, "I've turned into Jan Crouch!" who almost always cries at one point or another when she's on TBN.
I didn't understand it then, but I do now.
I have so much more compassion in my heart now than I did then.
I love people more.
I love myself more.
I love God more.
I'm moved more.
So as frustrating as it can be to explain why on earth I'm crying while watching a simple story on the news, I just let the tears flow and gently wipe them away.
You see, I've had my heart broken a few times in 33 years. But that didn't make it hard.
It made it tender.
I'm thankful to God that in spite of everything I've been through and those who put me through it, my soul still can feel. I still care. I still can love, laugh, and cry.
 Tears of compassion.
Tears of sorrow...
And tears of joy.
Thank you Lord for making me a big ol' cry baby.
Amen.

No comments: